The benefits of correct Configuration Management include, among other things:
- Faster problem resolution, thus giving better quality of service. A common source of problems is the incompatibility between different CIs, out-of-date drivers, etc. Having to detect these errors without an up-to-date CMDB can considerably lengthen the time taken to solve a problem.
- More efficient Change Management. It is essential to know what the prior structure is in order to design changes that do not produce new incompatibilities and/or problems.
- Cost Reduction. Detailed knowledge of all the elements of the configuration allows unnecessary duplication to be avoided, for example.
- Control of licenses. It is possible to identify illegal copies of software, which could pose risks for the IT infrastructure such as viruses, etc., and non-compliance with legal requirements that may have a negative impact on the organisation.
- Greater levels of security. An up-to-date CMDB allows vulnerabilities in the infrastructure to be detected, for example.
- Faster restoration of service. If you know all the elements of the configuration and how they are interrelated, recovering the live configuration will be much easier and quicker.
Casiano Rodríguez León
Principios de Programación Imperativa, Funcional y Orientada a Objetos Una Introducción en Perl/Una Introducción a Perl
por Casiano Rodríguez León
is licensed under a Creative Commons Reconocimiento 3.0 Unported License.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://campusvirtual.ull.es/ocw/course/view.php?id=43.